July 03, 2014

Putting the "endurance" in endurance runner

A while back, whilst scouring library shelves for books to listen to on my peregrinations, I came across Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival , Resilience, and Redemption by Lauren Hillenbrand. It recounted the remarkable life of Louis Zamperini, runner, Olympian, veteran, Japanese POW, man of faith, and much more.

I was truly inspired not only by his sheer toughness and ability to endure but also his ability to overcome bitterness and to forgive. I kind of doubt I would be capable of that if I underwent all he did--in the extremely unlikely event I would have survived at all. Zamperini passed recently at age 97 after a bout with pneumonia. It's fitting to ponder his memorable life as the July 4 holiday approaches.







No comments: