April 07, 2014

Quick shout out

I admit it, I'm behind the times. I just got around to reading Laurence Leamer's 2013 book The Price of Justice: A True Story of Greed and Corruption. My pet name for the book is Alice in MasseyLand, except Alice isn't a character.

The world it describes, that of the almost unchallenged power of the no longer existent Massey Energy and its former CEO Don Blankenship, is as weird in its own right as was the one the fictional  Alice found down the rabbit hole.

If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. I was involved in dealing with many of the same issues, but in different arenas. It was quite enlightening to read this account. I almost feel like I finally understand many things that were going on, like watching a previously unintelligible foreign movie with English subtitles.

If you do read it, you will no doubt understand and support my personal campaign to change the state motto of West Virginia from "Mountaineers are always free" (which used to be true before so many of my fellow West Virginians acquired the habit of corporate servility) to "You can't make this **** up," which at least is current.

No comments: