August 24, 2012

Galloping fingers

El Cabrero is kind of slow on the uptake, especially about social media. After several years, I think I'm finally figuring out some uses for Twitter (especially good for breaking news and for contacting journalists).

Facebook is another story. I've used a few pages for work stuff. There is the American Friends Service Committee WV page, which I am really bad about updating. During the recent (and ongoing) struggle over child care cuts, this page was helpful in generating emails to the governor's office and such. I have higher hopes for the WV Future Fund page, which we hope will generate interest in creating a permanent mineral trust fund for WV, although we really haven't gone public with it yet.

Then there's the personal FB stuff. I rarely put anything on there but I do check it occasionally. It occurs to me that I don't really know quite a few of the people I've "friended."

But there's one thing I really don't get. It would seem to me that if you wanted to make a statement on Facdebook, you should do so as clearly as possible, put it out there, and let it stand for a while. I have noticed, however, that some people have something like diarrhea of the fingers, posting picture after picture after comment over and over and over and over and over with no break between. Usually these posts aren't personal statements but pictures or cartoons produced by God knows whom.

I think this is where the law of diminishing returns kicks in. The more you put out in a short time, the less anybody is going to pay attention to any particular item. Methinks some people should give those fingers a break.

WHACK AWAY. Here's Paul Krugman taking swipes at two of my favorite targets.

ONE GOOD WHACK DESERVES ANOTHER. Here's George Lakoff on the Devil's budget.

GROSS IDEAS FOR SAVING THE WORLD here.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: