July 13, 2012

Zombie fever

I think I know what it's like to become a zombie now. Well, maybe not the dying and coming back and eating people part, but the part that happens after you get bit by one. As all the zombie movies and The Walking Dead series show, then follows a period of high fever, severe body pain, and periods of chills.

That has pretty much been my reality most of this week. I can't find any zombie bites on me, but in case I do croak, somebody should probably do the head thing.

There is one thing I've learned from this experience: when one is subject to periods of extreme chills and shivering, it is probably best not to watch movies about Alpine mountain climbing. I learned that the hard way while watching the German film North Face, about an unsuccessful attempt on Eiger.

JUST ONE LINK TODAY. Metaphors matter. Consider the implications of whether we view the economy as a garden or a machine?

OK, MAYBE TWO. Congratulations to community members of Charleston' West Side, who are on the verge of winning a victory that was months in coming. It looks like the Kanawha County Board of Education is about to vote to add the name of prominent African American educator Mary C. Snow to the West Side Elementary School. Here's a post from back in February about how the community mobilized on this issue.

CONFESSION. In the last post I said I was going to try to stop trolling, i.e. parodying right wing rants on news websites. On reflection, that's probably not going to happen. It's just too much fun.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: